We are looking for an experienced host for our television news program CBC Saskatchewan News at Six. An exceptional journalist and leader, you thrive in the fast-paced, high-pressure world of breaking news and current affairs. The ability to go live and “off script” at a moment’s notice is highly valued. In this contract position, you will contribute to the planning, design and organization of the program, propose program ideas, conduct interviews on and off-air and interact with program participants. This is not a traditional supper-hour news program. Host interviews are a cornerstone of the program. Your interviewing skills and knowledge of current events should be at least as strong as your presentational skills. As a leader in the newsroom, you will regularly contribute to all of CBC media platforms including radio and digital, helping drive new initiatives, influencing and shaping the conversation in Regina.
You will play an integral role in the Local Services strategy with a focus on three priorities:
Content: In this role, you will ensure that all CBC journalistic standards are met and that our stories are fair, balanced, accurate, thoughtful, immediate and resonate with the communities we serve. You will further our original, enterprise and investigative storytelling and ensure we are talking about what matters most to people throughout Regina, Saskatoon and the rest of the province. You’re innovative and will try new things, new work flows and new story treatments. You inspire others to do the same.
Community: As the industry shifts, local news and community storytelling is more important than ever. You will understand the diverse and changing population in Saskatchewan and the importance of reflecting all our communities in our content. You will set a new benchmark in editorial leadership around community stories.
Culture: You live and promote the values of diversity and an inclusive and respectful work culture.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
– A university degree or equivalent preferred.
– 5 years of comparable and relevant market experience preferred.
– Excellent reporting, interviewing and writing skills.
– Superior knowledge of broadcast and digital programming.
– Excellent understanding of CBC, journalistic and programming policies, standards and practices.
– Ability to generate original story ideas and creative treatments.
– Demonstrated ability to provide live on-air reports, interviews and analysis of complex events including breaking news as it occurs.
– Demonstrated ability to originate new story ideas and establish a track record in breaking news stories and gather information from a variety of sources.
– An engaging on-air presence, the ability to evaluate and analyze a broad range of issues, and to tell those stories with clarity and in a manner that relates the stories to the people affected by them.
– Strong presentation style and ease with live work. Ability to interact extemporaneously with program participants such as guests and colleagues.
– Able to present material with credibility and authority in a range of situations including live events and breaking news.
– Creativity in approaching news story format.
– Ability to work independently, as well as cooperatively, with producers and colleagues, in story development and vetting in presenting the news.
– Ability to work effectively under pressure and deadlines.
– Strong interpersonal and team playing skills.
– Creative, flexible and self-motivated.
– Established and credible presence on social media platforms and in the community.
– A passion for communities across Saskatchewan, and the interest to continuously expand and strengthen these relationships.
– Flexibility to work a variety of shifts including weekends, community outreach and overtime.
Please include a link to your online demo or website, blog or video in your cover letter.
Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing.
MUST READ: So You Want To Be On TV?
For more great articles, features and job postings, follow us on Twitter @SholdMediaGroup
Join Shold Media Group
Joining the Shold Media Group and getting connected with other young media professionals is simple. All you need to do is ‘LIKE’ SMG on Facebook and ‘Follow’ SMG on Twitter. Once you do that, you’ll have all the great articles, videos, event invites and much more delivered right to you. Click the links below to Join.