The Toronto Star is looking for new journalists for our summer reporting internship.
This internship is open to college and university level students or recent graduates who have never held a full-time, permanent staff position at a company that publishes news daily.
Interns work with full-time staff in a challenging but supportive environment. All Star internships are paid, contract positions.
We cannot accommodate volunteers, short-term placements or co-op students.
The summer reporting internship runs from May 2018 to September 2018.
Successful candidates will work on the breaking news desk and may spend time in a variety of departments including sports, life, entertainment and features. We welcome story pitches. Journalists must be able to shoot photos and should have multimedia skills.
What we look for
Enthusiastic, talented, curious and intelligent journalists with a strong work ethic, positive attitude and passion for journalism who bring energy, ideas and new perspectives to their work. Strong reporting skills and the ability to work quickly and accurately are required. If you are fluent in a language other than English, please include that information in your application.
A full, unrestricted Ontario driver’s licence is required.
Please submit the following in one document:
– Cover letter: please include your email address, snail mail address and phone number. Make sure your contact details are on the first page
– Eight examples of your reporting
– Toronto Star intern reporters have the opportunity to pitch lots of ideas for exciting assignments. Always wanted to rock climb? Have a yen for skydiving? Just know you could be the next big thing in the world of standup comedy? Convince an editor you can write a great story from that experience, and we’ll let you do it. In that spirit, please write us a 50-word pitch of an unusual activity or exciting adventure you think would make a great story
Application should demonstrate
– A range of reporting, with a strong emphasis of news coverage
– Proven ability to report thoroughly, write well, synthesize and organize information
– Multimedia experience, including video, audio and photography
– Reporting experience outside school assignments and a demonstrated commitment to journalism as a career
– Strong interpersonal skills
– Life experience that contributes to your development/ability as a journalist
Application deadline: The deadline to submit applications is January 15, 2018
For more great articles, features and job postings, follow us on Twitter @SholdMediaGroup
Join Shold Media Group
Joining the Shold Media Group and getting connected with other young media professionals is simple. All you need to do is ‘LIKE’ SMG on Facebook and ‘Follow’ SMG on Twitter. Once you do that, you’ll have all the great articles, videos, event invites and much more delivered right to you. Click the links below to Join.