Please read very carefully. Failure to follow these instructions may result in your application not being considered. Thank you for your interest in an internship at CBC News. CBC is proud of its internship program and the many talented students who spend time with us every year.
IMPORTANT: We will NOT consider your application without first receiving a recommendation from your school’s coordinator. CBC solicits recommendations directly from your school in advance of the application deadline. Make sure you get your coordinator’s approval BEFORE you apply.
We are currently accepting applications for our Fall 2018 session: Mon. Sep. 17 – Fri. Oct. 26, 2018
You must be available to spend six consecutive weeks on a FULL TIME basis at CBC. Full time does not mean trying to juggle studies and employment while undertaking an internship.
These internships are for the CBC NEWS department, including the possibility of placement at one of the following:
DIGITAL: National newsroom, Local Toronto newsroom, Hamilton Digital Bureau or Social Media
NETWORK RADIO NEWS: The World This Hour (hourly news), The World at Six or The World This Weekend
LOCAL TORONTO NEWSROOM – Weekdays or weekends
LOCAL RADIO: Metro Morning, Here and Now, Ontario Morning or Fresh Air
STORY CHASE: Syndicated Audio or CBC News Network (Weekdays or weekends)
MULTI-PLATFORM CONTENT UNITS: Entertainment, Science and Tech, Health or Indigenous units
INVESTIGATIVE: Marketplace, The Fifth Estate or the Investigative Unit
PROGRAMS: On the Money (business), The National or Ottawa: Power & Politics and Parliamentary Bureau
Not all placements are available in each internship session.
If you are interested in an internship in the NETWORK TALK department (see below) speak to your coordinator. You may only submit ONE application to CBC News OR Network Talk.
Network Talk internships include: As It Happens, Because News, CBC Books, The Current, Day 6, Ideas, Now or Never (Winnipeg), Podcast Playlist, q , Quirks & Quarks, The Sunday Edition
IMPORTANT: Although proficiency in technical skills is essential to the work of journalists, this is NOT a technical internship. This is an EDITORIAL internship which is not appropriate for people who are interested in careers in directing, switching, lighting, editing and camera work.
HOW TO APPLY
After you have been recommended, begin the application process:
– Follow the direct link to the online application and click ‘Apply Online’.
– If you do not have an account on the CBC Jobs website, you will be prompted to create one.
– You may choose to create a ‘profile’ for yourself; however a profile is NOT an application. You must then proceed to apply for – In the “Upload Resume” section, select: “I do not want to upload a resume.” Save and continue.
– In the “Attach Files” section, attach a SINGLE WORD DOCUMENT which must include your name: e.g. smith.sarah.docx
Your single Word file should include all of the following:
– Cover letter (1-2 pages): You MUST specify where you would like to intern within CBC News (and why). Do not say you’d like to be assigned anywhere and do anything.
– Resume (max. 2 pages)
– References (3): Name, title, phone number, email. You are not required to submit letters of reference.
– Portfolio: Content must be hosted on a personal or public website. Do NOT upload media files, PDFs or JPEGs. DO include the title of each piece plus the direct link. You may submit one link for each of the following.
– Online writing (text-based)
– Online multimedia (e.g. interactive, audio slideshow, etc.)
– One audio clip (under 5 minutes)
– One Video clip (under 5 minutes)
– We understand that you may not have samples for all the above for your portfolio. Submit what you have.
– We want to see your field production work and reporting skills.
– Do NOT submit samples of anchoring or news reading.
– You must choose specific pieces. Do not submit your personal website as your portfolio.
– Group projects are acceptable, however you MUST clearly describe what your contribution was.
– If your audio or video clips are contained within a longer report, include start time code.
– Ensure links are working and remain valid until at least June 2018 and that no password or registration is required to view them.
The DEADLINE for completing your application is Thursday, April 26, 2018 at 11:59 pm ET. Technical assistance will not be available on the final day. There will be no extensions.
We will contact everyone who has been recommended by their school’s administration. Interviews for those who are selected will take place in May 2018.
Good luck and once again, thank you for considering CBC News.
For more great articles, features and job postings, follow us on Twitter @SholdMediaGroup
Join Shold Media Group
Joining the Shold Media Group and getting connected with other young media professionals is simple. All you need to do is ‘LIKE’ SMG on Facebook and ‘Follow’ SMG on Twitter. Once you do that, you’ll have all the great articles, videos, event invites and much more delivered right to you. Click the links below to Join.